Articoli con tag event
English and Italian version together.
Two weeks ago I’ve been to The Lab Event at Tobacco Docks in London. I’ve never been in this place before and I was well impressed… probably the sun helped a lot to made my day.
This event is a new concept from the team behind Taste of London, hosted by TV chef and food writer Gizzi Erskine, who I have the pleasure to meet at The 50 best restaurants and I need to tell you, she is gorgeous and sweet!
When I arrived at the Tobacco Dock received a goodie bag full of colour-coded casino chips that entitled each attendee to a glass of champagne, a Rekorderlig cocktail, three ’signature’ dishes and an ‘experimental’ dish.
Quando sono arrivata al Tobacco Dock ho ricevuto la mia bag piena di fiches, per intenderci come quelle del casino, grazie alla quale potevo ricevere un calice di champagne, un cocktail Rekorderlig, 3 piatti create dagli chef residenti e un piatto considerate sperimentale, tra I vari stand presenti, come Bubble Food.
I’ve followed the first seminar of the event with Jeremy Pang, founder and head chef of School of Wok, the famous Asian cookery school based in Covent Garden. He has demonstrating Steamed Buns at the AEG Taste Lab.
Some of the world’s best chefs were at the event, including Brazilian chef Alex Atala – D.O.M currently sixth best in the world, the Italian Massimo Bottura, third best in the world, Ashley Palmer-Watts – Head Chef at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal and the impressive Lars Williams (Noma’s head of research and development), who hosted the Noma Flavour Test for the three days.
Alcuni dei migliori chef al mondo erano presenti all’evento, compreso il Brasiliano Alex Atala – D.O.M. che ho rivisto lunedi’ sera al 50 best, attualmente numero 6 al mondo, il nostro grandissimo Massimo Bottura, numero TRE, Ashley Palmer-Watts – Head Chef al Dinner by Heston Blumenthal e il tatuatissimo Lars Williams (Noma’s head of research and development), che ha presentato il laboratorio Noma Flavour Test per tutti e tre I giorni… laboratorio nemmeno a dirlo strapieno ogni giorno.
Below you can find some of the dishes I’ve tried.
Mackerel tartar with avruga caviar, beetroot and horseradish by Dan Loflin of Kensington Place
Sotto alcuni dei piatti che ho provato.
Lukas Pfaff’s dish was a pea-green risotto but the other ingredients were a mystery, as The Lab ran a competition to guess its ingredients to win a magnum of champagne.
My favourite dish of the night, has been Adam Gray’s pork belly with Lincolnshire smoked eel, spring onions and hollandaise.
Usually I don’t eat pork belly, but this one was surprising in the best possible way.
The Rekorderlig Lounge at The Taste Lab
One of the new Rekorderlig Summer Cocktail
Bubble Food and their liquid nitrogen poached mousse
I think The Lab offered the visitors a different, fresh point of view on gastronomy and flavours. I’m really curious to see in which ways the next events are going to surprise us; I’m sure they will!
For info www.thelabevent.co.uk
Credo che il The Lab abbia portato una ventata di freschezza all’interno dei food festival, cercando di spiegare ai comuni mortali (IO) il lato scientifico che e’ presente dietro alcuni tipi di cucina… anche se magari non e’ quella che preferiamo ogni giorno.
An incredible line up of International chefs will be coming together to take part in ‘The Lab’, a unique three night chef-led experience offering guests an interactive experience of masterclasses, tutorials and live entertainment. In partnership with AEG, The Lab will be hosted by TV chef and food writer Gizzi Erskine.
Featuring some of the world’s leading gourmet innovators, including Brazilian top chef Alex Atala whose Sao Paulo restaurant D.O.M is currently fourth best in the world, Lars Williams (head of research & development at world’s number one, Noma), will host and curate the ‘Noma Flavour Test at The Lab’ and Massimo Bottura, whose Italian three Michelin starred restaurant Osteria Francescana is the world’s 5th best.
Joining the star studded International bill is Dinner by Heston Blumenthal’s Ashley Palmer-Watts, who will present alongside world renowned forager Miles Irving on the live stage, as well as pioneering drinks creator Tony Conigliaro. The AEG Experiment will showcase the creativity and thinking of many of the UK’s top chefs including James Knappett, Bruno Loubet, Neil Rankin and Daniel Doherty.
I’m going there this evening for live updates you can follow me on Twitter @soniafigone.
Out of the Tube, it’s Christmas.
English Version only for this post, sorry guys.
Last Tuesday I was invited to a very nice event for bloggers organized by Asda. It was hosted by Philippa Carr, Asda’s Master of Wine. Philippa became a Master on Wine – one of only 300 in the world – in 1991. She told us many of stories about her daily job (stories that made me jealous ) and we had the chance to try different wines that Philippa selected based on our preferences.
The event took place at the amazing Bluebird in Chelsea. For those who watch Made In Chelsea, it’s where the stars eat and drink.
Built on the site of the old Bluebird garage, the hotspot has a brasserie, bar, café, courtyard, and food store to explore. A visit is highly recommended.
350 King’s Road, London SW3 5UU
Back to the wine tasting. Together with delicious platters of ham and salami, French cheese and chocolate truffle, we tasted the following wines:
- Etoile de Nuit Sauvignon Blanc £5.00 – A French Sauvignon filled with crisp and crunchy gooseberry-style flavours. Perfect with salads, fish or Oriental dishes
- Marlborough Sun Sauvignon Blanc £7.98 – Harvested at optimum ripeness from selected Marlborough vineyards. A fresh crisp wine with flavours of gooseberry, passionfruit and honey suckle that is distinctively Marlborough. An ideal match with fresh seafood, pasta or white meats
- Extra Special Chardonnay £5.00 – A deliciously smooth, creamy, nutty Chardonnay. Time in oak barrels gives the wine an elegant, silky feel. Great partnered with seafood, fish and chicken
- Lugana white wine £7.98 – This crisp yet elegant white wine from the Lake Garda region in Italy, with lemon and mineral notes, would be a delicious match with the traditional dishes of the region such as seafood risotto and fish dishes
- Alba Signature Albarino £5.50 – Albariño is a variety which is indigenous to Galicia – this dry and fruity wine with flavours of ripe pear and white peach is the perfect match to fish and seafood
- Dr L Riesling £7.16 – Fruity and low in alcohol, with a refreshingly crisp taste that cools the palate. Excellent with spicy foods
- Extra Special Moscatel de Valencia £4.98 – Deliciously sweet and luscious dessert wine from Spain with a luscious flavour of ripe peaches. Made 100% from the fragrant and fruity Moscatel grape from a leading producer in Valencia. Divine served well chilled with chocolate or fruit puddings
- Extra Special Pinot Noir £8.98 – Elegantly fragrant raspberry flavours, beautifully structured. This Wither Hills produced red is a typically silky smooth star, full of raspberry fruit flavours. Superb with duck
- Extra Special Beaujolais £5.00 - Deliciously fragrant and full of raspberry fruit flavours. Smooth & fruity. Try lightly chilled with strawberries for a taste sensation in summer
- Vinalba Reserva Malbec £7.48 – This Patagonian Malbec-Syrah has just won the International Wine Challenge Trophy for best Argentinean Red Wine. It is a wonderfully rich and fruity wine, with a complex nose of blackberries and chocolate and a sensuous ripe palate with bags of fruit – blackcurrants, plums and cherries – rounded off with hints of chocolate and vanilla.
- Mayu Syrah Reserva 2007 £8.48 – A juicy, rich and full-bodied palate with notes of cassis, spice and well-integrated oak are married with soft, ripe tannins and superb acidity which create an elegant and rounded wine in the mouth
Of course, you can find all these wines at Asda. Please note the prices above are those that are currently valid in store and online and thus can be subject to change. For more info click here.
English Version only.
Last Thursday I was invited to Avista, an Italian restaurant in 39 Grosvenor Square, London. The event was about the launch of Nibblr, a new social dining network. For the occasion the chef of Avista has created a special Italian menu for us in which every dish was matched with a wine.
Nibblr is a new social media network for foodies and socialites, talk to other users and book meals together. It’s a way to meet new people, whether you’re new to town, wanting to network with other foodies with similar interests or whether you’re a socialite. The site is also fantastic as you can make use of the discounted reservation in an exclusive restaurant and book a meal with your friends. The meals are available for any user to book a seat, so really you could meet anyone at dinner.
Neil Rafferty, the proud founder of Nibblr.
It’s been a great night with a very fun table, lots of chatting and delicious food. Below some of the dishes we enjoed during the evening.
The crab salad with avocado, papaya, basil and lemon sorbet with Vermentino Villa Solais, Santadi 2011, one of my favourite dish from the dinner.
Steamed salmon with asparagus, béarnaise sauce and Porto wine reduction with Chardonnay Fontanelle, Banfi 2010.
Plum tart with vanilla ice-cream with Moscadello di Montalcino, Banfi 2010.
Nibblr: good food, good company, good times.
Thanks to Nibblr for the fun, Janey and Ann for the invite and Avista for the food.
FernandoWine and Winexplorer presents Taste&Match, the new food&wine experience! After becoming famous in Italy in cities like Rome, Milan, Venice and Turin, Fernando choose London as the first city to start the european tour!
The 20th of July, at Divertimenti’s cookery school, the appointment involves 7 chef (between supper clubs and food bloggers). They will cook 7 receipes for 7 Italian wines. Each visitor will taste 7 dishes with 7 glasses of wine.
The purpose of the evening is to make you understand how the right combinations of food and wine can bring out the full potential of both;
OFFICIAL HASHTAG: # tasteandmatch
LOCATION: The event will be held in the beautiful space of Divertimenti’s cookery school, 227-229 Brompton Road London, Greater London SW3 2EP
7 wines + 7 dishes, arranged in 4 islands of taste (2 appetizers, 2 home-made and artisanal pastas, 1 main course, 1 desserts)
It’ll be a standing dinner in order to enable participants to know each other more easily.
TICKET at desk: 60 GBP > SAVE 20% > buy on-line your ticket at 48 GBP
We accept credit card, pay pal, bank transfer
RESERVATION: It’s possible to buy directly from this site in the promotions section, you can also book at our e-mail addresses leaving your data:
Phone: +44 (0)20 8123 2307
To ensure the success of the event, you can start your experience in 3 different time-slot: 7pm – 7.30pm – 8pm. The event will end at 10.30 pm for all. Please indicate your preference on booking
FOOD STARS (the complete menu)
Sally-Ginger – S G Brockbank > Hors d’oeuvre > Homemade goat’s curd with beetroot, broad beans & peas
May – Soul Food Kitchen > Hors d’oeuvre > A tea smoked trout on blinis with dill and horseradish cream
Giorgia – Linguina > pasta with pesto by Rossi (Roberto Panizza)
Francesca – Francesca’s Secret Kitchen > pasta > Polka dot, beef stracotto Raviolo with marsala pinenuts and raisin sauce and fried sage
Jean – Tigani & Al > main course > Paella Valenciana
Paul – Paul’s cooking > main course > Ox-tail “alla vaccinara”
Roberto – Dicotteedicrude > Dessert > Cantucci biscuits
Keep in touch!